Some of them believed that a special site is needed and will be created in time and some didn’t. They finally decided to change the tour page a bit but advised me to give it a try to see if I can gather the critical mass regarding our discussion in the chat part about 2 years ago.
Also I’m not the first one who is trying to create such site. There has always been some vagueness about the scope of the site.
I have also given my reasons for the necessity of a site.
And in a time I proposed to delete my proposal but some people disagreed.
Also as you see some of the current committers to the proposal or followers of it are already active members of SE network (More than total 1K reputation) who already know that there are already some sites in the network that can cover some areas of remote sensing and photogrammetry. like:
- la femme cosmique
- gerrit (One of the early founders of earth sience SE)
- David LeBauer
- George (The person who proposed to create GIS SE 6 years ago)
- Trevor J. Smith
- Nxaunxau (The person who proposed to create a remote sensing Q&A site in 2013 but failed)
- Martin Valgur
- Peter K.
- dassouki (One of early founders of GIS SE)
- Joe Kington (one of the early founders of Earthscience SE)
- Peter k. (The person who proposed to create Signal Processing SE and one of its current moderators , he’s also a well-known researcher)
And I’m with the latter but I’ve provided you with the above information and it’s up to you to decide if we need a new site or not.
The process of creating such site is community-driven as this page suggests. And remember as the following image shows:
Even if I succeed to gather 1k new users to the network till August 1st 2017, the site won’t proceed to beta because we need at least 100 users with 200+ reputation while we have just 36 at the time being.
Gaining 200 reputation in the network is not hard at all:
- Each upvote to one of your question, will get you 5 reputation.
- Each upvote to one of your answers, will get you 10 reputation.
- Acceptance of one of your questions will get you 15 reputation.
So by answering a few questions that are listed in the RSS feed on the sidebar, you can easily gain that 200 reputation.
There are a lot of new users in the committers 125-36=89
We are not only trying to create such site but also trying to gather more related researchers to Stack Exchange network.